My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ginger Crunch Cake



I've been making this cake since I was a kid.  It's one of the first recipes copied into my (now almost 30 years old!!) notebook that I keep for recipes.  I love looking back at it with my developing hand writing and my spelling mistakes - I spelt ingredients wrong for about the first 20 pages.


Anyway, back to the cake.  It's a favourite and when I serve it I often get asked for the recipe.  So here it is.

Ginger Crunch Cake

Topping:
1 1/2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of butter

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 cup of sugar
100 grams of butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 cup of milk

Grease and line a 20 cm square tin and pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Topping:  Put all the topping ingredients into the food processor and mix until it looks like breadcrumbs.  Tip this into a bowl and put into the fridge until you need it.

Cake:  In the processor, mix together dry ingredients.  Add the butter and mix until it is cut in finely and evenly.  Beat the egg, milk and golden syrup together lightly.  Pour this into the mixer bowl until all ingredients are just combined.  Don't over mix.

Pour cake batter into tin and bake for 5 minutes.  Take out and quickly spread the topping evenly over the surface.  Place back in oven and back for another 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no....................this looks like one I could make AND EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!