My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Saturday, July 30, 2016

The End of a Chapter (we're selling our house)

I started this blog waaaaay back in 2009 and my very second post was about moving out onto our piece of land.  We had purchased a 10 acre (4.4) hectare block with dreams about building a house on it, having a garden, orchard, animals - an enviable lifestyle.

We had built a shed for a tractor and other farm equipment, and eventually we decided to wall the shed in and live in it before we built our house.


Well, we never did build our house.  We liked the shed house so much we made it bigger and better and then built another shed right next to it, then a verandah, then a deck and then another deck.  Oh and we added a studio and fancy laundry (with the best stainless steel bench for painting and dyeing ever!!).

We raised calves, we had chickens.


I bred rabbits and ducks.


There were some sheep for a while and consequently, really cute lambs.  The vege garden went through stages of awesomeness and neglectedness.  We planted about a billion trees.  The kids grew.




And then we decided to move onto a boat!  A bit of a radical lifestyle change but right for us at the time.


Well, we've now lived aboard for almost two years.  Originally I said I'd give it a year to see if I liked it.  I do, and so we are staying put.  Now that we've decided that, we've also decided to sell our piece of land.  We want to close that chapter, free ourselves up a bit financially, and consolidate our lives here on the boat.

There are so many things I'll miss.  The beautiful views, the woodburner, my studio and laundry bench, free-range eggs.  But there are things that I won't miss - the long drive to get the kids to school, battling the weeds, mud in winter, escapee animals.

It feels like the right thing to do.

So, um, if anyone wants to buy a lifestyle block in central Bay of Islands, New Zealand, drop me an email, I can hook you up!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh? You have taken us all on a true adventure and we all have loved it. I would have loved it but i have a quite calm life in Southern California. Keep up your news on your studio and boat life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh? You have taken us all on a true adventure and we all have loved it. I would have loved it but i have a quite calm life in Southern California. Keep up your news on your studio and boat life

    ReplyDelete
  3. We owned a 45 ft houseboat and thought about retiring to live upon it but decided we needed more space. I love hearing about your boating adventures and love your boa

    ReplyDelete
  4. exciting times! One door closes and others open that's how it rolls in life. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, quite the change. Did you ever think you'd be selling it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a decision! Hope things go smoothly with the sale and that life on the boat is great for you and your fmaily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not the only one with happy memories of your farm "shed" - quite a few holidays spent sewing, and talking while the kids went wild in the great outdoors. But things change and we move on... and still have happy memories, just of different things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have fond memories of the time you spent on the land - via blogland of course - good luck with selling :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!