My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

You're soaking in it, luv.

My newest frugal tip. I can't claim this one, cheers dear sister-in-law.



I know I should probably wash the dishes by hand, and I WAS planning to when we moved into the shed. But some very kind people (gotta love the in-laws) gave us some money towards a dishwasher (she knows I hate washing dishes) so I just HAD to get one.

So to assuage my guilt at using lots of power and water every time I wash, I make sure to use eco-friendly powder. Plus it's also ok for when I use the grey water on my garden (which I do, a lot - there's a drought you know). This Eco-store brand has to be the best I've ever found - it even shines my copper bottom pots!

But, here's a trick to make it go further. Dilute it by half with baking soda (soda bicarbonate). Then mark the bottle so you don't dilute it again by accident! Still works just as good.

Now before you all send me recipes to make my own much cheaper, greener cleaners, I will attempt to make my own soap, clothes washing powder/liquid and my own dishwasher goop one day. But, just at the moment, I'm wrestling with cooking, baking, vege gardening, chickens, rabbits, crafting and quilting and children and that's enough for now. It's on the to-do list, but just a bit further down!

*And the title? It's a reference to an old tv ad for Palmolive dishwashing liquid, remember it fellow kiwis?!

5 comments:

  1. I use that stuff too. Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely try this one :)

    BTW a little baking soda in overly tart cooked fruit can improve things remarkably - specially unripe gooseberries!

    viv in dunedin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I remember that ad. Who on earth would actually want to soak in it though?? Blerk! I don't make my own soap and clothes detergent mainly because we hardly use any at all....hehe, grubby aren't we? But after I frothed up my front loader using the recommended amount, and knowing how just a little itty bit gets nappies clean, one box now lasts forever. I like the baking soda in the dishwasher tip though, gotta try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had read about this one but didn't know anyone who'd tried it - definitely give it a go now! Thanks for sharing. x PS Anyone would think you are a busy lady/mama/chicken farmer etc, etc :) !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just seen this post. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!