This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

In The Still of the Night....

....I quilt!! As an employed midwife, I work night-shift sometimes. That means 11pm till 7am I am at the maternity ward, whether there are women here or not. And I am on by myself (being a small, rural unit, we haven't much call for loads of staff). So it can get kinda lonely and just a tad BORING! Once the menial checklist tasks are done, and I've cleaned out a drawer or done something equally as industrious, I break out my sewing machine and get to it.

I used to feel a little odd. I mean, shouldn't I be working or something? What if the phone rang? But then I figured nobody would look at me funny if I was reading my book and I can jump up from my sewing machine just as fast as I can put a book down. So now I have no qualms about it.

And I get sooooo much done. Having two littles at home (sir aged 4 and madam aged 1), my quilting happens all too infrequently for my liking. Here at the hospital (I'm on night duty right now, yawn!!) I can solidly quilt for as long as I like and not get interrupted by food, toilet duties, fights..............and I get PAID!

Ok, so sometimes this place is a madhouse. Postnatal rooms full, one labour room in full swing and another lady coming in!! And then I work my little (little? who am I kidding!) butt off. But sure as eggs, if I DON'T bring in some sewing, it will be a very, very quiet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.