My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Amanda Stewart, Julia Arden, Helen Beaven and Julie Van der Putten on the NZ Quilt Show Podcast

It's that mad time of year again!  Here in New Zealand, Christmas and New Year's coincide with our Summer holiday period, so it's six weeks off school for the kids and lots of families travel and holiday around this time.  It's hot and busy and then there is the end of year stress with businesses and 'can you have it done by Christmas' requests.  But in amongst the chaos, there is time for me to squeeze in one last podcast!

This episode features another set of short interviews from the National Quilt Symposium 2017.  In the round-up we have:



Amanda Stewart from Provenance Textiles, supporting traditional individual craftspeople and groups in India and Cambodia.



Julia Arden, an Aotearoa Quilters member who entered three quilts into the 'Fragile' challenge.  She used metallic car paint for the background of the 'Save the Arctic' quilt, which you can see to the left in the picture above.



Helen Beaven, with her solo exhibition called 'Paint Modern' that began with a quilt that interpreted the knitting stitch form, but with paint on fabric instead of wool on needles.

(Apologies for the background noise.  Helen's was a popular exhibit in a small and noisy area!)

And last, but definitely not least, Julie van der Putten aka Puddle, from Quiltbooks - who I missed getting a photo of, much to my chagrin!  Julie is a delight to chat to and a regular at many of the quilt shows around NZ.  So if you ever see her, stop by for a peruse at her books and haberdashery and then a good yarn with the lady herself.

Now it's time I said a huge thank you to all my lovely listeners and sponsors who have given me so much support over this past year.  I really enjoy bringing the stories of our quiltmakers and professionals to you and I look forward to doing more of the same next year.  I couldn't do it without you, so THANK YOU!!  Have a wonderful, safe and peaceful holiday season, in whatever way you choose to celebrate and whatever season you are celebrating it in.



Download this episode (right click and save)

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I am in England and just found you. I have a couple of questions.
    In this podcast Id's a lady...many called Paso...she talks about some kind of weaving. I am not tuned into your accent he. What is the name of the weaving?
    Secondly ...is there somewhere I can find all your podcasts together?

    Thank you
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith,
    Julie Van der Putten is also known as Puddle (a nickname). She does a type of weaving with fabric strips. If you search 'meshwork patchwork tutorial images' on google, you'll see a whole lot of pictures of what she does. Julie doesn't have her own website.
    You can find all my podcasts by following the podbean link on the left of my page. Or if you can't see that, you can follow this link here https://theslightlymadquiltlady.podbean.com
    You can also subscribe in iTunes by searching The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady or The New Zealand Quilt Show.
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!