This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Challenge Number One.

So the first challenge of not buying any more fabric this year has occurred.  I needed a big piece (30 1/2 inches by 24 1/2 inches) of a sky blue fabric for the background of the applique dragon I'm making for my son.  Did I have such a piece?  No.  But I did have two smaller pieces.  Problem was, they were slightly different shades.  Solution:  piece them together in curved strips. 



I didn't realise it when I made my decision, but not allowing myself to buy any new fabric is providing challenges.  I haven't done a lot of curved piecing.  I know the theory, but just don't really do it.  So I got to practice and it was good for me.  I wonder what my next challenge will be.

This is the completed background with a few of the applique dragon bits laid out on top.  I love this part - seeing it take shape bit by bit is exciting!

5 comments:

  1. It may be a challenge, but isn't it wonderful how challenges such as these transform us into more creative beings?

    It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bought hardly any fabric this year. But I do the raffles at club so have been buying for that. Only fabric I have bought this year for me, is non patchwork fabric as I really need to use the patchwork stash! That said this year has been about buying tools, needles, scissors sewezi table etc I can always find something to buy and of course thread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curved piecing - once you get the hang of it, it adds a real dimension to your work. Dragon looks great so far - can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say Necessity is the Mother of Invention, but a little creativity doesn't hurt. Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that worked out great!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.