This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quilting Goals in 2011

Last year I made quilts for lots of people; my MIL, my FIL, my son, my daughter, my nephew. And I didn’t mind that – the deadlines were a great incentive, I learned a lot and had fun doing it.  But this year is all about ME. I’m going to make whatever I like. If I end up giving it away to someone, well, that’s fine, but I’m not going to start a project with that end goal in sight.


I also want to sort out a few of my WIP’s. They are kinda hanging over my head a bit, so every week I’m going to do a little bit towards at least one. I’m not going to put any expectations on myself about finishing any, but a little bit here and there will all add up (I’m hoping!).


So this is my first ‘do what inspires you’ project. I had washed these batik squares together because of the colours. When I saw them all laid out for ironing, I just had to put them together. Then after a glass of wine one night, I glanced over at them and the tree flashed into my head.  But the tree was a bit big so I'm adding some extra squares.



A friend at our quilting guild made a fabulous wall hanging where the elements were all outlined in black. It gave it a real Hundertwasser look and I thought it a stunning effect. I’m outlining the tree in white as it was a bit tonally similar to the background. I will cut out leaves from the green linen napkin and maybe outline them in white too. I’m having fun with no pressure.


And as for my WIP, I have these three little bassinet quilts on the go for the maternity ward. Today I sat down and finally quilted the third one and chose bindings for all three.   Little steps and they'll get finished without me even noticing!


I'm particularly pleased with my free-motion quilting on this wee one.  Some wise person once said,"Practice makes perfect."  You know, I think they were right.

6 comments:

  1. Why is it the fun goes out of a project a bit when you feel you MUST get it finished by a certain time for a certain reason. It seems that way for me, at least.If I can take my time on the project,finish it when I do,I seem enjoy it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to call them WIP's or UFO's. I call them PHD's (project half done) and then when I've finished - I have completed my PHD! Your quilting looks great. Is it freehand or do you have a special machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Faye - I like PHD's! As for the quilting, it's all freehand, I just put my feed dogs down on my machine, put my darning foot on and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the tree. Your quilts are beautiful, you're very lucky to be so talented.

    I knit and sew a little bit, and when I started out just knitting, everything I made was for someone else. So when I started sewing, it was all about me!

    I'd love to start quilting. Every Thursday night I host a knitting night, and the ladies that come are all very experienced and talented (I'm the learner), I'll have to ask them what they know about quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the PHD concept too!! Imagine, I could have a whole lot of PHDs :-) The white on the tree is very effective, I look forward to seeing it's progress.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.