This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

How to tie a knot for hand-sewing

Want to learn the magic of tying a neat know when you are sewing on your quilt bindings?

I used to tie ugly knots.  Yup, being a mostly self-taught sewer and quilter, I didn't know there was a technique.  I'd get myself in a tangle and it used to annoy me.  I'd seen people tie knots fast and neatly but just didn't know there was a trick to it.

One day I got around to learning how.  I can't remember who taught me, but my knots are neat and tidy and look like a little bit of magic when I do it fast.  So thank you anonymous teacher!

I've taught a few people now too and it always makes my day when they get it.  So I ventured into the realm of video tutorials and I've uploaded a knot-tying video to YouTube.


Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. yes this is how I do my knots too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a round your finger thing - ends up looking much the same :)

    Art school is great - wish I'd come back years ago!

    viv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant and so easy. Thanks Charlotte, it's the little things that make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good little video Charlotte, this is how I do mine too and find it to be neat and quick :-) Not sure where I learnt mine from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is known as a quilters knot - one twist gives you the right size to pop through the layers for hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see your video, Charlotte. I remember the first time I saw someone do this knot. She did it so fast! It was really impressive. I asked her to slow down and demonstrate it for me. I use this knot a lot now but have never got as fast as my friend. It is sometimes likened to doing a French knot "in the air".

    ReplyDelete
  7. This could not have come at a more perfect time! I just started hand quilting a quilt and was having a devil of a time making knots that went through the bottom level but not the top. This knot worked a treat! Thank you for saving me a whole lot of frustration!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.