This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

How to dispose of used sewing needles.

I'm a big advocate for frequent needle changes when you are using your sewing machine.  It comes from many years of experience - the first thing I do when I get skipped stitches or messy tension or something else weird, is change my needle.  And about eight times out of ten that fixes it.  So now I just change my needle more frequently and consequently I get less problems.


And here is my tip of the day: tic-tac containers are perfect for storing used needles, or broken needles, or bent and blunt pins.  They are small and flat so slip neatly into sewing kits; they fasten securely so are safe; and it's easy to see that they have pins in them so you don't get confused with your real tic-tacs!  Tape the opening shut when full and chuck them in the rubbish bin and you have a safe method of disposal.

And no, I'm receiving no payment for this post (although, if tic-tacs felt so inclined.....!)

4 comments:

  1. I used to use film canisters.... remember those? I do wish we could take them somewhere to be recycled though. Imagine all the needles, from all the quilters, let alone sew-ers, that are in landfulls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, I also use Tic Tac containers! Great minds eh... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a rotary cutting blade case - well labelled! - that collects all mine.... so much safer than just tossing them in the bin! [tic tac cases sound yummier :-)]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use old teeth floss containers

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.