My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Answer for Tanya

This post is particularly for Tanya who asked me a question about the quilting process of a quilt. Quilting and me is a bit like chickens and me, I could go on and on for ages, so bear with me!


I've never sent a quilt off to be professionally quilted yet as I enjoy the quilting bit and believe it's part of the whole process (plus I don’t like paying!). But I'll never say never and if you have a huge king size quilt then hauling that through your sewing machine can be hard work.


I just use my normal sewing machine. For this one I free-motioned stitched (drop my feed dogs, use my embroidery foot and move my quilt to 'draw') the star in the centre and just kept echoing it. Then I free-motioned the seashell kind of filler around it. I did mark some of the star lines as they got bigger to attempt to keep them straight, but I don't mark fillers, they are all free hand.


For the seashell filler I start at an edge and stitch an oval shape, then I bounce back around that shape, finishing where I first started. Then I bounce around and around that shape and then I start a new shape from where I finished the old one.



This picture is the pattern drawn in pen with the first two shapes having directional arrows on them to show you how I stitched them. I started in the bottom right corner.  It’s easier to see it done than look at pictures and if you have a look at Leah Day’s blog, you can see videos of her stitching her filler patterns. I’m sure she probably has one very similar to the one I’ve used but I originally started using this pattern after reading one of Robbi-Joy Eklow’s books.


And be careful if you do start making quilts, it’s very, very addictive!

6 comments:

  1. Wow. You freehand it, huh? I'm even more impressed now. That is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got fed up with the big quilts not fitting round my machine so now I've gone to the other extreme :) and do miniatures. Free motion is very addicting! So are embellishing machines and dyeing/bleaching etc, etc....

    viv in Dunedin

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special do I feel! Thanks for the special reply. It still boggles my mind imagining manouvering a quilt around an ordinary machine. Thanks for revealing how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envisioning...
    a vacation with Lil' Bean...
    in Northland...
    where a mad lady will teach me how to quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cadi - you're extremely welcome anytime! (As long as I can envision a patient, gentle lady teaching me how to knit!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, Ms Lottie, you don't knit? I have a feeling you will before the year is out! Then you'll be raising little furry critters to glean wool from...it could get ugly, lol! Elaine
    I love your tutorial!
    Hey Tanya...my sister, who had never quilted before, made a twin quilt from start to finish WITH the bias binding, in a matter of a few days. Pop over to my blog to see it, kinda cute.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!