My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The Art of Fabric Exhibition

Yesterday I flew to Wellington.  Today, the lovely Chris Kenna and I judged the Wellington Quilters exhibition.  Phew!  What a day!


We started ed at 10am and were finished by about 3.30pm with a bit of a break for lunch.  It was pretty smooth sailing, with a well organised exhibition, straightforward categories and judges who were in good agreement on the top contenders in each category.  But it's still hard work, not only because you are walking back and forth, back and forth, but because you know you are dealing with people's precious hard work, and you have to be very secure in your final choices.


I'd like to say a big thank you to the Wellington Quilters and Fyvie Murray, the president, for entrusting me with this responsibility.  It's a big charge and I take it seriously.  I've entered plenty of shows and had plenty of judges look at my quilts, and now that I'm on the other end of it, it's good to know how seriously judges take the job.

I'm not going to list the winners here as I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, and to be honest I don't have a full list with me!  I'm pretty sure Wellington Quilters will have the winners up soon on their webpage or facebook, so I've put those addresses below for you.

I've really enjoyed being in Wellington. It was my home 20 odd years ago and I loved seeing so many familiar buildings along with the new.  It also made me smile to see the steep narrow streets, the houses that have a very particular 'Wellington' look to them, and to hear and feel the familiar wind (Wellington is famous for it!) I enjoyed a walk this afternoon and saw a Kaka (endangered species of native parrot) flying overhead from the predator proof bird sanctuary that is right next to the city.


But I'm home again tomorrow on an early flight,.

Goodbye Wellington, thanks for having me!

the art of fabric 
Fri 5 - Sun 14 Oct 2018
NZ Academy of Fine Art
1 Queens Wharf, Wellington
Tickets $7 Concession $5

www.wellingtonquilters.org.nz
www.facebook.com/wellingtonquilters

1 comment:

  1. Your description of Wellington reminds me of San Francisco! I had no idea. I really have to get to NZ sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!