My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Friday, April 10, 2020

Lockdown Day 16

I walked into my studio today with the intention of having a tidy up so I could clear my head and maybe try and find the clothes patterns that I know I have stashed somewhere.  The first thing I saw was a unicorn hanging on one of my mini, portable design boards. It's been there for AGES, so long in fact that I'd stopped 'seeing' it. But I saw it today, and today that was going to be the first thing to tidy up.


And by tidy up, I mean get all the pieces stuck down so I could get it off the design board and out of my visual field.

Why am I making a unicorn?

Well, I have a little Etsy shop, with just a couple of patterns in it. I made a dragon quilt for my son when he was little, I turned the dragon into a pattern, and it's sat on Etsy ever since, just ticking away selling a few here and a few there.

Then I put a unicorn pattern up for sale, and that sells a few here and there too. But I wanted to add another colour way to the unicorn to show people different options. I planned it, cut it out and then lost the hind leg before I'd fused it all down (as you do). Once I'd lost the hind leg, it sat for a while, even once I'd found the hind leg....so long story short, I'm making a unicorn to add a different colour example to my Etsy shop.


And there he is, in all his technicolour glory! He's very bright and cheery, whereas the first one I made (below) is definitely more mystical. I guess that's got to do with what background he's on too. I flipped him directionally as well, just for a change.


My patterns are digital downloads, and if you want your very own unicorn, you can go here to purchase the pattern. I asked my kids what patterns I should do next. I have a pegasus drawn up but not made, but they suggested a bat, a wolf, an owl and a bear - not particuarly mystical like dragons and unicorns. Any other suggestions what I should make?

And yes, I did start a piece of clothing, but it's not finished. I may have sewn the neckband on inside out and I'm trying to decide whether to unpick it or make it a feature! I'll let you know tomorrow.

1 comment:

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!