My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Lockdown Day 14

I've been exchanging regular emails with my stitching group. We're a small group and in non-lockdown times we try and meet weekly for some tea and cake stitching and chatting. They are fabulous friends, caring and motivating and kind and funny and I'm missing them....

Anyhoo. I told them via email that I intended to make one item of clothing during lockdown.

There is lots of creativity and industry flying round the interwebs at the moment. There is also lots of anxiety and sadness and stress. And I get both states of being. I understand if people feel totally motivated, and I also get it if people don't.

But for me, I like the idea of coming out the other side of this strange time with something that I can show for it. Something that I can say, "I made that during lockdown." I guess that's one of the reasons I decided to write in my blog every day. It's such a weird time, sometimes overwhelming, and I wanted to mark it somehow.

I bought an overlocker at the end of last year. A second-hand Bernina 700D from a guy that services machines. It was purchased with the intention of making more of my own garments, but so far all it's made is cushions (which I blogged about here).


So there, now I've announced my plans, very publicly! I better go and see if I've got a pattern or can find one via download that I like.

I'll let you know how I go.

3 comments:

  1. That's great you can still 'meet up' with your stitching friends! Happy garment making.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get a sense of your garment sewing confidence. I bought a class from Crafty Gemini on making a shirt. It comes with a video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0wMxDkNMw. I actually think it might be free, but you can purchase a printed pattern (https://craftygemini.com/shop/westchester-dolman-top-hard-copy-pattern/) I am not a confident garment sewist and thought this might be a good way of gaining confidence. I haven't made the top yet, but I think it is surfacing higher in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo... can't wait to see what you come up with. Did you ever finish that apron?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!