My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rainy Day Fun

It's raining here today, and not just a drizzle, I mean really raining. And cold, so we can't even put our coats on and splash in puddles. Just too horrible.

So what to do??

Playdough! The old standby for kids entertainment. Here is the best recipe I've found:

PLAYDOUGH
4 cups plain flour
2 cups salt
2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
food colouring of choice
3 1/2 - 4 cups of boiling water
Put all the dry ingredients into a big bowl, then add the oil and boiling water and mix well OR dissolve the salt in the water first so you don't get that grainy texture then mix in everything else. Knead well. I then divide it up into 3 or 4 lumps, flatten these and drop different food colours onto each. Fold the dough over the colouring and knead it in. Add some cookie cutters, a rolling pin, some old butter knives etc and hey presto, hours of entertainment!
After play, put it into a plastic shopping bag and squish ALL of the air out and it will last for ages. And a word of advice - don't EVER chuck old playdough out where chickens can eat it. They will, and then they will die (don't ask me how I know).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!