This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Scrappy Crumb Quilts


My scraps are getting out of hand.  But it's hard to throw them away.  As a wise lady recently said to me,"I paid the same amount per metre for that teeny scrap as I did for that fat quarter!"  And when you've collected a few kilos of teeny scraps, you wonder how much meterage there actually is in the pile.  So I pulled them all out (actually my daughter did - the picture above is her 'nest for birdies'), and decided to do something useful with them.

I'd never really heard of the name 'crumb quilts' until I read about them here, on the lovely Raewyn's blog.  I knew about the concept (sewing any scrap bigger than 1/2 inch into a bigger block, then sewing it all in together), but now they have a delicious name to go with them.  But I'm regimented kinda girl (really!).  I like order to my colours.  I also love rainbows and colourwash.  Soooo, my first step is to sort my scraps.


Then I plan to make my crumb blocks all one colour, with maybe a few flecks of a complimentary colour to make them sparkle.  So I'll have a blue block made up of little crumbs of my different blue scraps with maybe a scrap or two of orange.  A purple block with a spark of orange, a green block with pink.  Sashing?  A cream perhaps, maybe black.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  First I have to go pick up my leftovers!


Anyone else doing a crumb quilt at the moment?  Or tell me what you are doing with your scraps - I'd love some more inspiration to use them up.

4 comments:

  1. Wahoo!! Way to go!!! So pleased I was able to inspire someone!! I find crumb making SO satisfying and also 'slightly' addictive. I've been wondering along your lines of colour sorting them too; I made tiny cream ones as a background recently and really liked the effect - HAVE FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic I'm not the only 'mad' one out there, well me and Raewyn!Your colour idea is a great one.I have made a crumb quilt too and loved it, but my scrap pile still looks like yours! You think it will become tiny...but NO! It grows.....so I still find myself making crumbs as a Leader / Ender project. Would it be cheeky to do colour blocks like you plan to? Would you mind? just for a change for me. My Crumbs is sort of an eye spy quilt with bits from the kids quilts and I have made a label listing the 'things' to find.Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try out slashing .... layers of scraps between larger pieces; stitch channels through all layers then slash through layers (not bottom) ... try Googling .. lots of fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.