My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

2020 Brave New World. Lockdown Eve.

I haven't written in this blog yet this year, but if ever there was a time to start, it's now, on the eve of an unprecedented event in the history of New Zealand.

At midnight tonight, the 25 March 2020, NZ goes into a complete lockdown due to the COVID-19 epidemic. We've declared a national state of emergency. No one is to leave their house except for essential trips.  As a midwife I'm considered an essential service so I will still be going to work, as will other healthcare providers, pharmacists, grocery store workers, petrol stations, vets, police, emergency service workers and a few others.

So, I'm going to blog every day during lockdown. Why the heck not? It'll give me something to do and to look forward to, and it will be interesting to look back on in years to come.


Today I got up early and got two new tyres for my car. Why so early? The tyre man opened at 7am and I wanted to make sure I got in and out before any other people turned up. I'm a healthcare worker, I know what we could be in for, so I'm practicing distancing as much as possible already. But I'll still need to drive to work for the next month and those tyres were essential.

Then I went for a sunrise walk on the beach and admired the view. Not a bad place to isolate yourself, out on your boat, miles from anyone else.

6 comments:

  1. You're a trooper, Charlotte and, with a friend due to have a baby, yes you are an essential worker. Everything is so uncertain and it is reassuring to know we have good souls like yourself and other healthcare providers, supermarket staff etc who are keeping the basics going for the rest of us. Stay safe out there; will be thinking of you and your colleagues across the country supporting women as they enter motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A daily blog is a really good idea if you can stick to it. I am doing the same but keeping a drawing book and written diary in case IT data gets lost. Good luck Charlotte.. look after those mothers and babies and stay well yourself. We need your creative spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start to your day given the lockdown. An excellent idea to post daily as a record of these times right now.
    Keep safe Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I did write a comment but it seems to have disappeared - possibly I was in too much of a hurry and left the page too soon.
    You had a great start to your day, the photo is stunning and it's folks like yourself on the front line in healthcare who deserve medals!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your daily posts - keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are still having babies, even in a lockdown. Hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People certainly do! And if the predictions are correct, in nine months we'll have a baby boom from the boredom.

      Delete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!