My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Friday, March 27, 2020

Lockdown Day 2

It's Friday, Day 2 of Covid-19 Lockdown NZ Edition. I set my alarm for half an hour before everyone else and greeted the day in peaceful seclusion. I think I'm going to do that regularly just to get some alone time.

I made a cup of tea. I stood on the deck and listened to the dawn chorus and the one solitary car that went past in the distance. I sewed a few quilting lines on my quilt. I watched the sky turn light, then pink, then blue.

And I thought about how I got up early to get some alone time, yet there will be other people who are dying to have some people time. Everyone's experience of this lockdown is going to be so different. Will it make our family stronger, or push us further apart? Will the kids remember this as an exciting fun time, or a scary one? Will we have positive things to show from this experience?

I guess we'll have four weeks to find out.

After yesterday's post I thought I'd show a better show of some of my napkins vs. normal cotton fabric. Remember, these are dry but not rinsed, so they will lighten and alter somewhat.


The top fabric is my normal cotton, the second is a damask cotton napkin dyed in the same batch. The third is my normal cotton fabric and the bottom is another damask cotton napkin. So they colour very similarly, but you do get a slight textural effect with the damask. (Click on the picture and I think it will enlarge.)

The top fabrics are the ones I showed you yesterday when they were still wet and scrunched and I've included that picture for reference. If I remember, I'll post one more comparison picture once I've rinsed them.

2 comments:

  1. We have been locked down since the 17th and we are doing ok. We had our first 'words' this morning when DH chipped a batter bowl. It was the only thing I took from my grandmother's house after she died (except for paperwork). He has chipped other favorite things I use in the kitchen and this was too much. Other than that, we are making an effort to get along. We don't have kids at home, we are both still working, so we have it pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous colours as I'm sure the sunrise is that you witness in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!