My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Lockdown Day 6

I feel like we are getting a bit of rhythm now. We get up, have a cup of tea, we can be more relaxed because the kids don't need to catch the bus, we walk the dog. The kids need the wifi and devices in the morning for their school work, so I settle into doing something like dyeing or sewing. Hubby has his building projects to keep himself occupied.

I'm quite glad the kids hog the internet in the mornings. I found myself starting to obsess with the news stories, the graphs, the worry about what this virus would do to refugee camps, and I needed to stop. So the online schooling is helping in this regard.

In the afternoon the kids are encouraged to get some outside time and exercise. I'm thankful we live where we do, they can bike, jump on the trampoline, walk to the beach, swing on the swing, I couldn't imagine having them holed up in an apartment or the like.

This is the view from my deck. Not many people around.
Hubby and I were discussing how much our world is going to change from this pandemic. Although we are working and behaving as if the shortly we'll all go back to the way we were, will we really? How long will it really take before NZ feels safe enough to have the unrestricted travel we used to have? Will our tourism industry ever fully recover? How many people are going to die? They are big questions and only time will tell. So in the meantime, I'm trying to enjoy the things I can.

Like watching my daughter teach herself to knit from the internet and make an amazing start on her 'covid blankie'! She's truly putting in a stellar effort!

4 comments:

  1. Kudos to your kid! I didn't learn to knit until Home Ec class in high school. I was never a "master;" but, I have really enjoyed making slippers, afghans, scarves, and dish cloths over the years. I love cotton yarn and use it exclusively. I's sure your daughter has found a lovely handwork craft that will give her joy the rest of her life . . . no matter what level of mastery she achieves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass on my congratulations to your daughter, I love the colours she using and she looks to making great progress!
    It is such a strange new world we're living in now, and scary!. Classed as a 'vulnerable' and high risk I confess I don't always handle this situation well, but I do see the TV news and the announcements from the PM and the Director General to keep myself up to date with developments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done daughter! Love your view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying seeing your fabric dyeing. Those are some BIG questions alright..........awesome your daughter is teaching herself to knit! Stay safe, sane & creative!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!