My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

A weekend of quilting.


Today I've been sneaking moments between kiddy watching and hubby helping to practice my machine quilting.  I've basted up a pile of 12 inch quilt squares and will use these to try out new ideas and just practice, practice, practice.  I think that next time I'll make my quiltlets about 16 inches square to have a little more wiggle room but still have them easy to move around under the machine.

Tomorrow, I'm attending a workshop on hand quilting.  It's something I've never done before, never even attempted, so in other spare moments, I've been watching a few YouTube How-To videos for prep. 

I'm not sure if it's something I'll do much of, but I want to learn so I can at least have an educated opinion on it.

I hope you're all having a satisfying weekend too.

5 comments:

  1. Wow your quilting is looking great! Good for you trying out hand quilting, you might love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hand quilting, but it takes so long that I dont do as much as I'd like. I do quite a lot of Quilt-As-You-Go by hand. It makes a project really portable. The one on my Blog background was hand quilted QAYG. Good luck. A word of caution. Most people take a while to "get" it, so dont give up too soon. One book I read said it takes at least 15 hours to get the rhythm - not all at once tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great machine quilting practise... this is one thing I need to do - just block everything else out and sit down and practise. Hope you had fun at your hand quilting workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the hoop, I have the top....do we have action...no!

    But maybe the upcoming camp will be the time and place :)

    viv in dunedin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fancy quilting. I just love to hand quilt - so relaxing

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!