My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Blue and white with a touch of madness


Last weekend found me sewing my little heart out at our guild retreat.  We hold these two or three times a year.  We start on Friday morning and pack and clean up on Sunday after lunch.  In between, all we do is talk, sew and eat - bliss!

I got my applique block (it's a pattern from Material Obsession Two) bordered and sewn into my blue and white quilt top.  I also added a lilac border around the whole thing and am very pleased with what I see so far.  However, it's not quite big enough so I'm collecting light blue fabrics for a eight inch wide border and will be subjecting myself to more applique in a similar style.


And here is how my paper-piecing project is coming along.  Sorry about the dark photo - is was taken at night at my friend's house where I go for my 'stave off insanity' Wednesday night quilting session.


And, just for fun, here is one of the causes of my budding insanity!

8 comments:

  1. Love the blue and white quilt, esp your applique block. Your rainbow pp is gorgeous and I love the reason for insanity photo!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo it's just lovely! You must be feeling very chuffed with it. What are you going to do with it? I really need to get my act together and give quilting a go... at the moment I am in a felting frenzy though, so we will have to wait for that to finish. I'd love to make a special quilt each for the boys though, while they are still young enough to like things their mum makes for them :)

    Your little man certainly does have a fabulous pose happening there :) How old is he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lovely! I'm going to a Scrapbooking camp (in Dunedin, of all places LOL!) and I can't wait. I'd love to attend a patchwork camp...what FUN!
    Love that photo of your handsome young man..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I cared that much for quilting.I love fabric, but just can't seem to follow through on quilting. I do other things with it, and maybe a small quilt ocassionally, but that's it for me.Your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt. I'm wondering how long it took you to do that much - how long will an 8" applique border take??? I'm into braids at the moment. I teach beginner patchwork and have 3 or 4 quilts that are not quite big enough, so I'm experimenting with a braid QAYG border on one of them to see how it goes. I'll blog about it - sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy - thanks!
    Ali - thanks and be careful, quilting is addictive. My wee boy is 6.
    Julze - lucky you! Have fun and pack your woollen underwear!
    sawn61 - you do other gorgeous crafts so don't despair, it's not for everyone.
    Faye - do I have to confess my sins? That quilt has been sitting partly sewn for at least two years! But from the time I've picked it up again, it's taken me a couple of months to sew the blocks together and complete the applique centre. It will probably take me another couple months to do the border as I have a two week holiday coming up (yay!). I've never done a braid quilt yet, but I'll get to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, love the cause for insanity, have a couple of those myself, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Cat said :)

    Those paper pieces look interesting too.

    viv in dunedin

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!