My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Quilty Finish: Immersion. And Show Notes from Podcast Episode 5.

Here's some pictures of a quilt that was a UFO (unfinished object).  It's sat around in slowly progressing stages for a couple of years and I'm so glad that it's finally morphed into a useful 'finished object'.


My husband named this quilt Immersion.  It has a pretty watery feeling so I think that's appropriate.



It is about 60 inches by 80 inches, so drapes nicely on a single bed, covers an ample lap, or decorates the end of a queen size bed.


I have to confess that I LOVE the back.


I quilted chevrons in the centre square, pebbles in the next block border, a kowhaiwhai design on the two end borders and then piano keys on the final turquoise border.


And I do love me a dark grey binding.  I hand finished the binding and stitching it was never a priority so I guess that's why it took so long.  But now it's done, and even labelled.  Yay!

I talk about this quilt on episode 5 of my podcast.  I'm counting it as my finish to enter Lazy Daisy's UFO challenge, which I also talk about, but I mucked up and said that your finished object had to be posted to Lazy Daisy's blog, but it actually need to go to her Flikr Group.  Here's Lazy Daisy's rules, I copied this direct from her site:

2014 UFO Challenge!

Hi, and welcome! I thought I’d celebrate my birthday this year in a special way, by giving away a quilt. To enter, all you have to do is finish! Any sewing UFO that you finish before June 11, 2014, will earn you an entry into the drawing. All you have to do is share a picture of your finished project in the Flickr group. And I mean FINISHED! Quilted, bound, and everything! If it’s a garment, it must be hemmed and ready to wear. Finished means finished.  (side note- don’t forget to label your quilts, it’s important guys)
We’re relying on the honour system here, guys, so please.. Don’t cheat! I’ll know if you’re lying.. (really I won’t, but how could you sleep at night if you brought dishonesty into quilting?)
For the purposes of this giveaway,  UFO means that you started it before 2014, and finished it this year.
That’s it.
So, in summary:
1. Any UFO (unfinished object) started before 2014
2. Add a picture of your finished object, or “FO” to the Flickr Group
If you haven’t yet, check out the group for some pretty awesome entry pics!
Now, GO QUILT SOMETHING!! there’s a quilt to be won!
Thanks Daisy!

I talked about Susan Brubaker Knapp's Facing Tutorial and here's a link to it.  It's the best facing tutorial I've found so far.  It's a non-mitred one, but she has a mitred tutorial too if that tickles your fancy.

And then, I talk lots about the Whangarei Quilt Exhibition that I visited with my Friday stitching group.  But you're going to have to wait for photographs for another day, this post is getting too long!


Here's my podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/the-slightly-mad-quilt-lady/id820121885?mt=2

(Please note that podcasts always take a while to show up on iTunes, so if you don't see episode 5, check back later.  You can subscribe to my podcast and any new episodes will automatically show up in your feed.)

4 comments:

  1. Great finish & a great name! I like the nature shots, the logs & fence & grass,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - we love a finish. That must be from three years ago? Where does that time disappear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently discovered your podcast (via Sandy from Quilting for the Rest of Us) and I am loving it! Your accent is amazing, and I love hearing about your quilting and your life in New Zealand. I think a lot of us Americans dream about visiting, it's so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm another new listener thanks to Sandy, and have just listened to all five episodes back to back to back! I love hearing about what you are working on, teaching, thinking about, and visiting. Our former next door neighbor is from New Zealand (and creative as well), so hearing your voice brings me back to those tea time visits with her.

    So glad to have found you and I can't wait to hear what you get up to next!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!