This blog is a bit of a ramble through my life. There's a lot about quilting and textile arts, a sprinkle of my family life and some of my thoughts and ponderings. We currently live aboard an old wooden 1945 Navy boat, called MV Cerego, so you'll find me writing about that too. Welcome aboard!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hand Dyed Fabric on the Warm Side of the Colour Wheel

Just a quick post today with some of my recent hand dyeing.  It's a quick post because I'm busy getting ready for beginners class tonight and sewing up samples and writing instructions.  It seems to take a stack of time!



I was aiming for some more 'ish' kind of colours - not pure hues and I also wanted some tints (colour with white added, which with dye is diluted dye).  The second photo was dyed light orange then folded and one edge rested in pure dye.  I love the effect the wicking action gave.

I also dyed some silk.  I expected lighter colours than I got because silk tends to dye a little lighter than cotton, but the colour I used as a base for all these (I was trying out a series theory) is a pretty tenacious colour.  I must remember that in future!


I wish you could see the lustre of the silk, just yummy.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy colours Charlotte, looks like experimenting is the way to go - you'll never know what you are going to come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours, especially the silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colours...

    I've got designs on a bag of party ice and some powdered dyes :) We also did some marbling which was interesting only I don't really want to cut them up to use.

    viv

    ps I finished my Dear Jane, put it in the exhibition and it sold!!! That was kind of unexpected to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful array of colours! I particularly like the silks. Wish I could feel them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those silks! Colours super!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :) I read every one and I endeavour to reply via email if you have a reply-enabled account.