My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Monday, April 6, 2020

Lockdown Day 12

Another 12 hour shift at work today, so again, I won't be writing lots.

I thought I'd scan through my photos and maybe look for a UFO. And I found the perfect one.

This is in my 2015 photo folder, so um, yes, at least five years old (blush), probably older. This photo is taken hanging up on my wood stack from when I lived on a 10 acre lifestyle block, which was before I lived on a boat, which was before I lived here, and we've been in this house for two years now...


I called it creme brûlée. Not sure why, I think the classic colours and style maybe? It's made of a bunch of fabrics that I had been hoarding, and they happened to work well with each other. 

It's constructed of simple snowball blocks with corner stones in the sashing, which makes a nice secondary pattern of faux churndash blocks.


I still really like it. And it's still a flimsy! I did have it with a long-armer friend of mine, but she had to return it due to health issues. I have the backing and the batting, so now I'm looking at quilting it myself. But I'm completely blank on quilting ideas. I'll have to put it back on the to-do pile while I doodle some ideas.

Suggestions welcomed!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I remember this one... it is so lovely and delicate. I can't imagine it covered in quilting. Something simple like diagonal crosshatch through the blocks? Or instead of through the centre, make the lines echo the outer edge of the churn dash (maybe even a double echo). Keen to do some big stitch hand quilting? That would also look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really a pretty quilt. I think doodling is a good idea. I would do something that keeps it really drapey. Perhaps some chains of little circles in the sashing and one large circle-spiral in the snowball?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the title of this quilt is perfect, I love the softness of the main squares and then the little pop in the dark corners, hope you can quilt soon and post the finished photo for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this- it is so pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilting ideas 💖

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!