My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Monday, April 13, 2020

Lockdown Day 19

I was so encouraged by my garment sewing foray a couple posts back, that I've decided to dive into my next make.

I don't have any more stretch fabric (or not enough for anything significant) so I needed something that used a woven. I'm also a little bit hesitant to buy patterns until I'm more skilled in assessing what will work for me, and I need beginner friendly. Stalking round the interwebs found me the Purl Soho Boxy Tee. There were some good reviews and nice examples of tees that sewists had made up, so I decided it was something I could try my hand at.


I found a large piece of patterned quilting cotton (funnily enough that's 98% of what my fabric cupboard holds) with some matching solids for the sleeves and the colour block on the bottom of the shirt. Yesterday I cut the pieces and read the pattern thoroughly to make sure I understood it.


Today I began putting it together inbetween planting seedlings and working on an applique design I've got on the go. And here's where I'm up to. I decided to let this photo glow in all it's terrible glory. It's night time so it's horrible lighting, and I'm using the floor so you get to see my burgeoning corner scrap pile as well as where I hide things - under the drawers! But it's the only photo I've got...

The top is beautifully constructed with french seams so I'm not using my overlocker and all I have left to do is the side seams and the neck binding. The neck binding uses a bias strip, so this is the bit I might find tricky, everything else has been straightforward so far.

All going to plan, I'll have it finished tomorrow.

On the lockdown front, NZ continues to show signs that our restrictions are working. Only 19 new cases of Covid-19 today, and 75 people recovered, which means that our total number of active cases continues to drop. Unfortunately there was another death, bringing our toll to five souls. We have 15 in hospital, four of those people in ICU and one of them in a critical condition. We hope for their recovery.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thrilled for you! It is wonderful that you feel more confident.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!