My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Lockdown Day 17

Garment sewing has never been my thing. I didn't take sewing in school, I never paid attention when Mum, or my garment sewing older sister sewed, and I've never been a huge fashion follower either, so haven't had a burning desire to make what I couldn't get or afford.

I have tried over the years. I remember taking a night class in my late teens, which taught me a bit. And I've made very simple kids dresses, an apron etc etc. But I'd like to be more confident to make more of my own clothes, especially as we all become more aware of what fast fashion is doing to our environment.

So a couple posts back I said I wanted to make at least one garment before lockdown was over. Well I did!


My friend Jaye pointed me in the direction of a sewalong and free pattern by The Crafty Gemini. It was for a dolman sleeved knit top. Just the kind of thing I was thinking of. I like dolman sleeves, I wanted to try sewing with knits (seeing as I've bought myself an overlocker), and I liked the idea of someone walking me through it all.

If you're interested in the videos, click here for the first in the series, you're looking for the Westchester Dolman Top.


I thought my knit wasn't stretchy enough (she shows you how to measure) so I sized generously, and I graded my hip area up to the next size. She shows you how to do that too, she's very thorough. But it turned out I was too cautious and should have stuck with the size for my measurements, and I definitely shouldn't have graded up for my hips - I should have taken a before photo show the sticky out hip bits!


Although Crafty Gemini shows you how to make this with a standard sewing machine, I was making it with my overlocker, so it was really easy for me to mark smaller once I'd tried it on and then run it through the machine again to take it in where I needed too. It's still generous, but I didn't want it form fitting so I'm happy.

My one big goof up was sewing the neckband on inside out. And because I was using my overlocker (and I'd made a really nice job of it, it sat perfectly!) I didn't want to unpick it - it really wouldn't have worked. So I decided that it was a design feature and I sewed the armbands on and hemmed it inside out too. 


I might sew the outside seam flat so it looks more like a cover stitched seam (is that what you call it?) rather than just inside out. But this was never meant to be a runway-ready piece so then again I might not bother.


I wanted slightly longer sleeves, so I added two inches and I used the wide arm band even though my size used a slimmer band. I also added an inch to the bottom length and only used a 3/4 inch hem. 

I made it in white because that was the only piece of knit fabric that I had that was big enough. So my next make (if I'm motivated) will have to be out of a woven.

So I'm wearing something I made and I'm really rather proud of myself!

3 comments:

  1. I like this top, it looks really comfortable to wear and a plus for me is the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should be able to size up and then use a woven for the same pattern... always a bit of a gamble but worth a shot if you've got some less than precious fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is the Westchester shirt, I am so thrilled you did it so quickly. I'll have to get on mine!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!