My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Lockdown Day 20

Is it really day 20? It seems like that time has flown by. Unfortunately we've had another four deaths today. Covid-19 got into a dementia ward at a rest home and has taken it's toll on the frail and elderly.  I listen to the 1pm update with trepidation. But we also continue to have good news, such as only 17 new cases today. The numbers drop and drop.

Today I finished my Purl Soho Boxy Tee. I tried it on when the side seams were done and thought I might have to undo them and insert the ties that are suggested in version C to give it more shape, but now that it's all put together, I think I love it how it is.

Here's the photo shoot:


The instructions were easy to follow. I'm an almost beginner garment sewer and I had no trouble.


I probably would use a slightly more drapey fabric in future (when the fabric shops open), but needs must and I'll give it a good hot wash to try and soften the quilting cottons so it sits softer at the back.


And, once again, I could probably have made the size smaller as there is a little too much bulk at the side seams. Drapier fabric would probably take care of that though.


I continued to wear it after these photos and it was super comfy. Lots of ease in the armholes, no riding up or anything funky happening with the drape. I wouldn't want it any shorter, and, if I made it again, I might add another inch to the length.


I'm really pleased with my neckline. This was the bit I thought I might have trouble with. It's finished with a bias strip, which folds to the inside. But I got it first try and it lies flat and beautiful. I added another line of top stitching along the shoulder seam and the along the bottom colour block, just because I could.


Look at the finishing details! That side split is just cool! If you were thinking of purchasing any of Purl Soho's patterns, you won't be disappointed with the finishing or the instructions. 

I broke out my blind hem foot (and sewing machine instruction book!) for the hem. Not that the instructions say to finish it like that, but I wanted to give blind hemming a go, since I've never done it. Actually, it was easy, but hemming it like the pattern suggests would have given the top a cleaner finish.


Thanks to my darling daughter for taking the photos - she had fun! And made me ham it up, as you can see...

2 comments:

  1. WOOHOO, you are rocking it! Looks like you have done a really neat job... and it fits well. Did you wash your fabrics before cutting? I had wondered whether you could lengthen it sufficiently to wear more as a tunic with leggings (lengthen through the body and keep the lower contrast panel the same)? And maybe a Marino long sleeve top underneath? That way it would suit being made out of a quilting weight or heavier fabric. I'm not so fond of the drop sleeve myself as it makes me look like a rugby player! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top really looks nice. I like Purl Soho's patterns as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!