My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pike River Mine.

I'm not feeling very festive today.  Yesterday New Zealand had a terrible tragedy.  There had been 29 mine workers trapped for six days in a mine after an explosion.  Nobody had been able to get in to attempt a rescue or even to see if there was any sign of life.  Yesterday afternoon there was another huge explosion and they believe nobody could possibly have survived it.  They have switched from rescue mode to recovery mode. 

My heart goes out to the families who have had the most unimaginable week. 

Please take care everyone.


Edited to Add:  If you would like to do something to show your feelings, Shirley Goodwin is receiving Healing Heart Blocks to be made into quilts for the families involved in this tragedy.  You can see here for instructions and an address.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. I'm not the world's greatest quilter, but I reckon I could put together a few blocks for this project. These are sad days indeed Lottie. Makes you hug your loved ones just a little tighter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks for the link. We all want to make some blocks. The whole family is upset, as we are a mining family and it could just as easily have been us. It's something we try hard not to think about when our loved one is in the mine - but this just brings home to us how grateful we are every time he comes home safely.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!